Plums are at their best during the late summer/early fall, and when there are too many to eat, this Country Plum Streusel Galette is the perfect way to use them up. The crust for this delicious galette starts with Basic Pie Crust Mix which is a big timesaver, but which also results in a buttery, flakey crust; it can be rolled out to a circle, or simply patted out. Plums are fast to prepare for the filling, since they have only a small pit and they don’t need to be peeled. Crumbly streusel is quick to make, too, so the entire dessert can be prepared for baking in 15-20 minutes. Almost everyone has time to make this one.
This galette can be made early in the day, since it’s good either warm or at room temperature. And while it’s good just as it is, a scoop of very high-quality or homemade ice cream will transport it to ethereal heights.
1 1/3 cups Basic Pie Crust Mix
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
1 beaten egg
1 1/2 pounds purple plums
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix the pie crust mix with ice water to make a soft, but not sticky dough, being careful to work the dough as little as possible.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll out to a circle 1/4" thick and 11" in diameter on a lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Transfer the round to the baking sheet; brush the outside 3" with the beaten egg.
- Halve the plums, remove the pits, and slice into 1/4" slices.
- Place them in a bowl with the brown sugar and toss.
- Pour the plum mixture into the center of the crust.
- Make 2" slits about every 5 inches around the perimeter of the crust.
- Fold the edges of the crust over the plums.
- Streusel topping: Mix all ingredients, cutting in the butter until it is the size of small peas; sprinkle evenly over the galette.
- Bake 20 minutes; reduce the temperature to 350° and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm either plain, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 149
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 6% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 247 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 3%