Who doesn’t love homemade chewy coconut macaroons? These Christmas Coconut Macaroons are not only even more delicious than their plain counterparts, they are festive since they contain bits of red and green candied cherries. They can be served plain, drizzled with chocolate, or dipped halfway in chocolate – it’s your choice.
4 egg whites, at room temperature
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons flour
6 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped red candied cherries
1 cup chopped green candied cherries
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat the egg whites with salt to form soft peaks.
- Add 2/3 cup of the sugar gradually while beating on high speed.
- Add the lemon juice and beat the mixture for 5 minutes at high speed or until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour and remaining 1/3 cup sugar; stir until well blended.
- Fold the flour mixture into meringue, then fold in the coconut and candied cherries.
- Use a tablespoon-size scoop to drop rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until the macaroons are lightly browned.
- Cool on the baking sheets.
- When the cookies are cool, mix the chocolate chips and vegetable oil; microwave 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- Let sit 2 minutes then stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over the cookies or dip them into the chocolate.
- Let set in a cool place.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Macaroon
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 55
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 3% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 102 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%