Winter Weather

Winter Weather
What to Do if Damage Occurs to Your Home

-Call your insurance company or agent with your policy number and other
relevant information as soon as possible. Cooperate fully with the insurance
company, and ask what documents, forms and data you will need.
-Take photographs/video of the damage.
-Make the repairs necessary to prevent further damage to your property (i.e.,
cover broken windows, leaking roofs and damaged walls). Do not have permanent
repairs made until your insurance company has inspected the property and you
have reached an agreement on the cost of repairs.
-Save all receipts, including those from the temporary repairs covered by your
insurance policy.
-If your home is damaged to the extent that you cannot live there, ask your
insurance company if you have coverage for additional living expenses incurred
while repairs are being made. Save all receipts to document these costs.

What Damage to Your Home is Covered?

Damage caused bywind, wind-driven rain, trees or other falling objects, and the collapse of a structure due to weight of ice or snow are all covered under most standard homeowners policies. Frozen pipes as the result of extreme cold might not be covered if the damage was due to negligence, such as failing to maintain an adequate temperature in the house when the ability to do so is there. Check your policy and call your insurance agent or company if you need clarification or have specific questions.

What Damage to Your Home is Not Covered?

The following events are typically not covered by the standard homeowners insurance policy: Interior water damage from a storm, when there is no damage to the roof or walls of your home; damage as the result of a flood (unless you have a flood policy); removal of fallen trees (if the trees do not land on and damage your home); food spoilage due to a power outage; and water damage from backed-up drains or sewers. Some insurers offer endorsements (i.e. additional protection that may be purchased) for certain coverages not covered under the standard homeowner policy. Check with your agent or company to determine your needs.

What to Do if You Are in An Automobile Accident

-Call the police.
-Obtain the following information: the names, addresses, telephone numbers
and driver's license numbers of all persons involved in the accident, and
any witnesses.
-Record the time, date, location, road conditions, make and year of vehicles
involved, apparent damages and injuries, and your version if what happened.
-Call your insurance agent or company to report the incidet as soon as
possible. Ask your agent what documents, forms and data you will need.
-Take notes each time you talk with your insurance company, agent, lawyers,
police or others involved in the situation. Write down the dates, times,
names and subjects you talked about, as well as any decisions or promises
-Ask your insurance company if you have coverage for a rental vehicle if your
car is not drivable. Save all receipts and bills, including those from
renting a car or having your car towed and/or stowed.

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2018 by Denise M. Castille. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Denise M. Castille. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Denise M. Castille for details.