Meringue Mushrooms are the perfect way to use up extra egg whites. As long as there is a decorating bag available, they are quite simple to pipe. Meringue mushrooms can also be made ahead, and, as long as they are stored in a cool, dry place, can be kept for months.
These mushrooms are a must for decorating the traditional French Bûche de Noël at Christmastime, but can be used to garnish dozens of other desserts, edible Christmas treats, and holiday cookie trays.
About 24 mushrooms
3 egg whites, (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 dash salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 200°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or plain white paper.
- Have egg whites at room temperature, if possible (they whip higher and lighter) and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cream of tartar and dash salt.
- Beat to soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar, beating till very stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Meringue will be glossy.
- Using a large plain tip (about 1/4 inch in diameter), pipe circles about 1" in diameter to resemble mushroom caps.
- Flatten the points with finger lightly moistened in water.
- For stems, use the same tip, but make pointed mounds about 1-1 1/2" high and 1/2" in diameter at the bottom.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until set but not browned. If the mushrooms begin to brown while baking, reduce the heat 25 degrees.
- Turn off oven heat, but let stay in oven with the door closed about 1 hour.
- To assemble, with the point of a knife, make a small hole in the bottom of each mushroom cap.
- Spread a small amount of the chocolate frosting on the underside of each mushroom cap.
- Poke the point of the stem in the hole on the underside of each frosted mushroom cap.
- Using a fine strainer, dust the tops with a little cocoa powder.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 54 Calories from Fat 8
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 14% Protein 3% Carb. 83%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 21 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%