One of the best ways to “bake” a moist and delicious cake is in a slow cooker. Sweet Potato Cake is a traditional southern treat, and it has been adapted to the slow cooker in the following Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Cake. This cake takes only 10-15 minutes hands-on prep to make the batter, and bakes unattended while the cook does more important things. The topping, consisting of only six common ingredients (most likely already on the pantry shelf or in the refrigerator), is cooked on the stovetop and is equally quick. The biggest surprise is the resulting cake which is moist and decadent. It can be served warm or cold, and even though it’s quick and easy, is suitable for company.
This cake is pure and simple “soul food,” so it’s perfect to serve at the annual MLK, Jr. buffet or family gathering, but since it’s so easy, it will become an oft-requested dessert for any night of the week year round.
2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and hot (microwaving a large sweet potato for 5-7 minutes works well)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups coconut
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- Spray a 8-9" round slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Cut a piece of parchment the size of the slow cooker and press onto the bottom; spray with non-stick spray.
- While mixing the batter, cover the slow cooker and turn to the high setting.
- Place the hot sweet potatoes (if using leftovers, microwave for a minute to heat) in the bowl of a mixer; add the butter, brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, and lemon juice.
- Beat until smooth.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt into a fine mesh strainer over the sweet potato mixture; shake through the strainer, then mix into the sweet potato mixture until smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into the slow cooker.
- Cover and "bake" on high 2-2 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn off the slow cooker, tilt the lid, and let sit 10 minutes to evaporate any residual moisture.
- Invert the cake onto a cooling rack, remove the parchment from the bottom, then carefully invert from the rack onto a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: melt the butter in a small saucepan; add the sugar and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Turn down the heat; let cook a minute or two to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat; add the vanilla and stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Pour the topping over the hot cake; cut into wedges – serve warm, or let sit and serve at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 316 Calories from Fat 181
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 5% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 61 mg
Sodium 238 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 77% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 5%