g Text Version
Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies

Bored? Games!
Take a Quiz
Rate My Photo

Natural Living
Folklore and Mythology
Distance Learning

All times in EST

Low Carb: 8:00 PM

Full Schedule
g Insurance Site

BellaOnline's Insurance Editor


Homeowners - Options and Riders

A "rider" is an additional set of terms and conditions that “rides on” the basic package offered by the insurance company. Below is a sampling of some of the most common riders that can be added to or purchased along with a homeowner insurance policy.

1. Scheduled personal property endorsement (personal property floater)

Most insurance policies limit the coverage that is provided for personal property, especially certain categories of personal property (check with the individual insurance company to determine what categories of personal property it lists with respect to limitation of coverage). For example, most policies limit the loss of money to $100 - this is to prevent insureds from claiming a high dollar value loss of money whenever a loss does occur. Jewelry is usually covered up to a certain amount but any individual item is only covered for a stated amount, regardless of actual value.

If you have coin collections, cameras, and jewelry in excess of the stated amount of coverage for these categories, you can add a rider to the insurance policy to cover the additional value of these items. The cost is usually determined on a "per thousand" dollar basis. The cost per thousand is often nominal when compared with the risk of loss. If you have items of high value, make certain that there is no limitation to their coverage. If there is, have the items appraised by a certified appraiser and then get the insurance company to add a rider to cover the additional value of your personal property.

2. Special computer insurance

Your home policy may or may not cover that brand new WebTV you just purchased. Or the scanner, tape drivers and speakers you need for operating your home office. To cover them, your insurance company will probably require you to purchase a rider as additional coverage. You may also need a business policy to cover your home office equipment.

3. Income property

Some insurance companies allow you to add a rider that covers residential premises other than your primary residence. This is most likely to occur if you own your home plus another residence that you rent out. As it is with your primary home, it is important to maintain insurance on rental property. Many insurance companies will let you to add additional properties to your existing homeowner's insurance.

4. Secondary residence premises endorsement

If you own a vacation home, it is important for you to maintain coverage for that residence as well as your primary residence. Like income property, many insurance companies offer secondary residence (vacation) premises coverage as a rider to your homeowner's insurance policy. You are often able to obtain the needed additional coverage at a reduced rate by purchasing a rider (as opposed to a separate, stand-alone insurance policy).

5. Theft coverage protection endorsement

Most insurance policies have strict limitations with respect to coverage of personal property loss due to theft. To expand the amount of insurance for personal property due to loss by theft, purchase a rider for additional theft coverage under your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. You should check your current or "about to be purchased" insurance policy to determine the amount and type of coverage it has for loss of personal property due to theft.

6. Home business

Having a home-based business presents a variety of exposures to loss that must be considered. Many homeowner's or renter's insurance policies exclude coverage for losses as a result of the operation of a business -- including business-related liability (e.g., a customer trips over your furniture and breaks an arm). Many insurance companies now recognize that many people operate home-based businesses. If you operate a business out of your residence, make certain that coverage is available through your insurance policy. If your home-based business is excluded, you may be able to add a rider to the insurance.

7. Watercraft and recreational vehicle endorsement

Many insurance policies exclude coverage for watercraft and other recreational vehicles commonly located (stored) at your residence. In addition, these vehicles are often excluded under standard automobile insurance policies. To obtain coverage for loss of these vehicles, many insurance companies offer an optional rider. Check with your insurer to determine if such coverage is excluded and, if so, whether a rider may be added to the insurance policy to cover these vehicles.

8. Sewer and drain back-up

Similar to flood (excluded under all homeowner's or renter's insurance policies), a backed-up sewer or drain can cause significant damage and may be excluded from coverage by the terms and conditions of the insurance policy. Many insurance companies offer a rider to protect against the risk.

See your local agent for homeowner insurance riders and options.
Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Twitter Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Facebook Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to MySpace Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Digg Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Yahoo My Web Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Google Bookmarks Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Stumbleupon Add Homeowners+%2D+Options+and+Riders to Reddit

RSS | Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map

For FREE email updates, subscribe to the Insurance Newsletter

Past Issues

Printer Friendly
tell friend
Tell a Friend
Email Editor

Content copyright © 2018 by Denise M. Castille. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Denise M. Castille. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Denise M. Castille for details.


g features
10 Things to Know About Buying Auto Insurance

The Policies You Need!

Details to Review About Your Insurance Policy

Archives | Site Map


Past Issues

Note: BellaOnline uses cookies to help provide a consistent user experience. Our advertisers may use cookies to help customize ads. Please contact us with any question about our cookie use.

Summertime Foods
Corn on the Cob
Burgers on the Grill
Apple Pie


| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2018 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.

BellaOnline Editor