Brad's Famous Rum Cake Recipe
Since this decadent cake is topped with rich chocolate ganache, it’s a chocoholic’s dream. It would make a perfect end to a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner, and since it can be made ahead and is actually better when it sits for a day or two, it’s perfect for entertaining anytime throughout the year. A spoonful of real whipped cream (none of that fake frozen crap, please) is a perfect topping, but highest quality vanilla ice cream is also delicious.
For those craving chocolate, why not make it today as a trial run; it is sure to wreak havoc on any immediate weight loss plans, but it will satisfy even the most desperate chocoholic.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rum
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a standard Bundt pan thoroughly with Baker's Joy (or grease and flour).
- Cream the butter and sugars; add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate; mix well.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda and add to the batter; stir until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake at for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the Syrup: Bring the sugar and water to a boil; let the mixture boil until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
- When the cake is done, let it sit on a cooling rack 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack to remove the pan.
- Invert the cake onto another rack so that the bottom is up.
- Poke holes around the cake evenly with a fork in 1/2" intervals.
- Slowly pour the prepared syrup over the cake.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly and place on a serving platter.
- Topping: Mix the chocolate and whipping cream in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, whisk until thickened, and pour over the cake.
- Refrigerate until the topping has set.
- Store tightly covered or in an airtight container; it will keep several days.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 127
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 4% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 204 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.