Are you an adult who never completed your high school diploma? There are many adults who have not graduated from high school. Many of them wish that they had and wonder whether it is worthwhile to go back to school to get the diploma. Are there good reasons to put in the effort required to earn that diploma? Here are some of the reasons why it may be important for you to finish high school.
- Most jobs require a high school diploma. The ones that do not are jobs that you cannot move ahead in, so you can expect to be doing the same job for many years. Many times you will not be hired even if you have some experience at a job because the employer requires that you have your high school diploma. You will certainly not be able to get one of the jobs that are in high demand. The jobs that are the fastest growing require a college degree making them out of the question if you have not even finished high school.
- The employment rate is better for those with a high school diploma. Although the rate changes over time, there is always about a 4% higher rate of unemployment for those who have not completed high school.
- If you have a high school diploma you will make more money than those without one. High school graduates make more than $150 per week on average more than those who did not finish high school. That works out to more than $7000 per year. Who could not use an extra seven thousand dollars every year? Think what it will add up to over your lifetime!
- You will feel more confident in your ability to accomplish goals because you have accomplished getting your high school diploma. Employers will also feel more confident in your ability to meet goals when they can see that you have met the goal of successfully completing your high school education. You also learn skills in high school that are useful in a job and in your life in general. Examples would be problem solving skills, writing skills, and math skills. When you want to learn more about the world you live in, you will find that those skills you learned in high school will come in handy.
- You will contribute more to your community. Some of the extra money you make will go toward taxes to fund education, roads, forest management etc., which benefit all of society. You will also be setting a good example for your children with a high school diploma. How can you expect them to persevere with high school studies if you did not graduate or are at least working towards it now?
Overall you need to look at a high school education as a basic starting point for whatever you want to do with the rest of your life. Today it is possible to earn that diploma through distance learning which makes it easier to fit in to your busy schedule. Even though it may be difficult, it is definitely worth your while to earn your high school diploma.