Most students look forward to summer as a break from their studies. For some it is considered wise to take that break to prevent burn-out. However, there can be some real advantages to taking summer courses. For those who are already distance learners, it may be a good idea to lighten the load over the summer months to give you time to enjoy vacations and other summer pleasures. For those who are bricks and mortar students, one or two online courses during the summer may have some benefits for you. Many bricks and mortar schools now offer online courses so it may be very easy for you to sign up for one or two this summer. The following are some of the advantages of taking summer courses.
- Fewer obligations - During the summer you usually do not have as many obligations as you have from September to May. You are taking fewer courses so you have fewer assignments due and exams to write.
- More help available - There are fewer students enrolled in courses during the summer which means that your instructor will have more time for helping individual students. If you need some extra help in a subject, this would be a good time to get it. As well, you will have more time available to devote to the course and will be able to concentrate on it if it is the only one you are taking.
- Keep your momentum going. People tend to forget approximately one month’s worth of instruction when they take the whole summer off. You will have the advantage of not forgetting previously learned material when you are back to a full course load in September. You will also retain the habit of studying while still enjoying a more leisurely summer.
- You may be able to graduate sooner. Some students have been able to graduate after 3 years rather than 4 years by taking courses during the summer. That is an extra year which you can use to get into the work force and start earning money that much sooner.
- Get a credit and have fun. You can take a course that you really enjoy and may even find is fun and earn some of your credits at the same time. It may be a summer sport or a subject unrelated to your field of study. It may be a subject that is only offered in the summer semester. You will not have the more difficult subjects to worry about so you can work on it to get a really good mark and enjoy it at the same time.
- Make your regular semester less stressful. If you take a summer course or two, that means that you could take one less course in the fall and winter semesters which would mean less work overall and make those semesters less stressful. If you put the same effort into four courses each semester that you would for five courses you may get very good marks too.
- Summer courses do not last all summer. Summer courses usually start in May and end in July or August after just 5 or 7 weeks. That means that you still have some relaxation time after your summer courses are completed. You can still take a vacation or spend time with your family and friends.
It is a good idea to really think about what will be best plan of action for you for the summer. An online course or two can be completed even if you are working for the summer. You can gain any of the above advantages and still have time for the fun and relaxation you have been looking forward to.