Rich & Decadent Easter Basket Cake Recipe
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate liqueur, or chocolate coffee syrup
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup highest quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
French Cream Icing:
1 cup milk
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flaked coconut
4 to 5 drops green food coloring
Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an oven-proof bowl (approximately 11 or 12" in diameter) with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.
- Cream the butter and sugars; add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate; mix well.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda and add to the batter; stir until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared bowl and bake about 1 hour, or until the cake has pulled away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and invert onto a cooling rack.
- After the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, invert onto a serving platter.
- Poke holes over the top with a fork; pour the coffee syrup or liqueur over the cake.
- Meanwhile, just before the cake is done, make the ganache: Mix the whipping cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes, let sit 1 minute, then whisk until thick.
- Pour the hot ganache over the top of the warm cake and spread evenly.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly. If in a hurry, refrigerate or place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- French Cream Icing: Place the milk and flour in the blender and blend until smooth; transfer to a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 3-5 minutes, or until boiling (whisk after 2 1/2 minutes and again after boiling); place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the top of the mixture and let cool.
- Whip the butter, vanilla, and sugar with an electric mixer until very light and fluffy; add the cooled milk/flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled ganache.
- To decorate: Place the coconut with a few drops liquid green food coloring in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake until the coconut is tinted; sprinkle over the French Cream Icing.
- Top with Cadbury eggs or other Easter decorations; store in the refrigerator.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 223
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 4% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 273 mg
Total Carbohydrate 46 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 20 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.