Kentucky Bourbon Brownies are perfect for serving on Derby Day, the first Saturday in May when the world’s most famous horse race is run at Churchill Downs in Louisville. It’s traditional on Derby Day to serve dishes either originating in Kentucky or containing products made in Kentucky, especially those using Kentucky Bourbon. Mom’s Brownie Mix makes these fabulous brownies quick and easy to put together. A liberal soaking in Kentucky bourbon while hot (the alcohol evaporates immediately, leaving only the bourbon flavor), and a little Kentucky bourbon in the filling make them an authentic Kentucky treat.
Incidentally, It’s interesting to note that according to a comment in Kentucky Cook Book (Cooking Across America Series), Kentucky produces almost half of the world’s bourbon, yet ( one can assume because it’s a part of the Bible Belt)at least 75 of it’s counties are dry. Apparently there are places to get Kentucky bourbon in Kentucky, however, because community and church cookbooks from that area, all seem to contain dozens of recipes using it. The official cocktail of the Kentucky Derby is the Mint Julep, so somebody in Kentucky is drinking the stuff as well.
Although these Kentucky Bourbon Brownies probably won’t last long enough to worry about storing them, it’s good to know that they stay moist for several days if kept in an airtight container, and they freeze extremely well for several months.
5 cups Mom's Brownie Mix
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup Kentucky Bourbon
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
3 tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the brownie mix, eggs, and pecans until smooth and well-mixed.
- Spread evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and pour the 1/3 cup Kentucky bourbon evenly over the surface of the brownies.; let cool thoroughly.
- Frosting Whip the powdered sugar, butter, and 3 tablespoons Kentucky bourbon until smooth; spread over the cooled brownies.
- Topping Measure the 3 tablespoons butter and chocolate chips in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir until smooth; drizzle over the brownies.
- Refrigerate until set and cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 174 Calories from Fat 84
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 3% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%