Want to make a cake from scratch, but don’t think there’s time? The following Quick Mix Sponge Cake is quick to mix – no separating eggs and beating the whites – and it’s a good plain white cake that can be flavored and/or decorated many ways.
This basic cake has a great texture. It can be soaked in liqueur or coffee syrup; it can be filled with lime or lemon curd; it can be frosted with everything from vanilla to chocolate buttercream and everything in between. The possibilities are limited only by the imagination. This is a cake that should be in everyone’s recipe collection.
For those who aren’t experienced cake bakers, one lesson learned from Rose Levy Beranbaum in her classic book, The Cake Bible (an absolute “must-have” cookbook for serious cake bakers) is to purchase Wilton Bake Even Cake Strips. The inexpensive strips work like magic to keep the cake layers from rising in the middle; the layers come out of the oven with flat tops, making them very easy to put together.
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup softened butter
6 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray 2 9" round cake pans with non-stick spray; line with parchment and spray the parchment.
- Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a fine strainer over a mixing bowl.
- Shake the mixture through.
- Add the butter and eggs; beat for 3 minutes, scraping the sides down when necessary, to make a smooth, light batter.
- Divide the batter (it is quite thick) between the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until the layers pull from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the layers sit on a cooling rack for 5 minutes; loosen with sides with a knife and invert onto racks to cool thoroughly.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 237 Calories from Fat 122
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 7% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 111 mg
Sodium 258 mg
Total Carbohydrate 25 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%