Peanuts are a popular commodity in the South, and besides being boiled and roasted, they are used in everything from savory soups and salads to sweet cakes and cookies. The following Old Fashioned Southern Peanut Cake Squares aren’t particularly fancy, but they are good, and they make the most of crunchy peanuts in the frosting and creamy peanut butter in the glaze. The original recipe came from a Southern community cookbook published in the early 40’s (since the peanut cake squares were “old fashioned” then, they are certainly old fashioned now); the recipe below has been modernized and the glaze has been added to make them moist.
Incidentally, these cake squares freeze well, and since the recipe makes 48, it’s a good idea to freeze at least half; just like peanuts, it’s easy to keep eating until the entire batch is gone.
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups crushed dry roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 11 x 17" jellyroll pan with parchment, or spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and sugar; add the eggs and boiling water.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture onto the jellyroll pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Remove from the oven, pour the glaze over, and cool thoroughly.
- Glaze: Mix the glaze ingredients in a microwaveable container; microwave 1-2 minutes or until boiling.
- Stir until the sugar and peanut butter are dissolved; pour over the hot cake.
- Frosting: Whip the butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth; stir in the peanuts.
- When the cake has cooled, spread with the frosting and cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 176 Calories from Fat 57
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 7% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%