Summer Berry Upside Down Cake Recipe
Any kind of fresh berries can be used in this cake, even strawberries, which aren’t usually as good when cooked – this cake is an exception.
When choosing the flavor of gelatin, remember that most fruit gelatins are artificially flavored; hence when added to fresh berries it’s a good idea to use a flavor that will compliment their flavor rather than emphasize the fake flavor from the gelatin. Use raspberry gelatin with strawberries, strawberry gelatin with raspberries, etc.
4 cups crushed fresh berries
2 3 oz. packages fruit flavored gelatin, see note
1 10 oz. package mini marshmallows
1 18.25 ounce yellow cake mix prepared according to package directions
Vanilla ice cream, or sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" glass baking dish or 2 9" deep pie plates with non-stick spray.
- Spread the berries over the bottom of the baking dish; sprinkle the gelatin over the berries.
- Arrange the mini marshmallows over the gelatin.
- Pour the batter over the top of the marshmallows; spread evenly.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven; let sit 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake.
For Strawberries, use raspberry gelatin
For Blackberries, use raspberry gelatin
For Raspberries, use strawberry gelatin
For Blueberries, use blueberry or raspberry gelatin
Amount Per Serving
Calories 178 Calories from Fat 47
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 4% Carb. 70%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 28 mg
Sodium 166 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.