An automatic ice cream freezer is a “must have” appliance for the summer. These little appliance wonders make it possible to make very good homemade ice cream, sorbet, sherbet, gelato, etc. in about 20 minutes, and have become quite inexpensive, especially at warehouse stores. Every flavor imaginable can be made in these easy-to-use appliances, from plain vanilla, to fancy flavors such as Tiramisu. Just like the popular dessert, this Tiramisu Ice Cream is absolutely decadent and will become a summer favorite.
Although traditional tiramisu calls for ladyfingers, Italian amaretti cookies are a little more sturdy and hold up better in this ice cream when soaked in coffee liqueur; the almond flavor is a little bonus that goes well with the coffee ice cream and the mini chocolate chips (Make sure you don’t substitute bigger chips, since they could easily break a tooth or two when frozen.). If necessary, non-alcoholic coffee flavored coffee syrup can be substituted for the coffee liqueur, and regular cream cheese whipped until soft and fluffy with heavy whipping cream can be substituted for the mascarpone if it isn’t available (although tiramisu aficionados will surely scoff at even the mention of a substitution for that key ingredient).
One of the great things about serving ice cream for dessert is that it can be made a week or two ahead and is always ready to take from the freezer and serve. If nobody is counting calories, Tiramisu Ice Cream is great next to a piece of chocolate cake, or served on top of a brownie square with hot fudge sauce.
1 cup (scant) sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
4 teaspoons instant coffee, dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
16 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 ounces tiny amaretti cookies
1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- Mix the eggs, sugar, whipping cream, milk, and coffee with a whisk until smooth; pour the mixture into the bowl of an automatic ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, whip the mascarpone cheese with the 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy; stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place the amaretti cookies in a bowl, pour the coffee liqueur over, and toss; let the cookies soak up the liqueur, then fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- When the ice cream is frozen (it will still be a little soft), pour half into a rectangular container with a tight-fitting lid, top with half of the mascarpone mixture, then the remaining ice cream mixture, then the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Swirl the mixtures together.
- Cover tightly and freeze for 2-3 hours (or up to a week or two) or until frozen through.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 381 Calories from Fat 208
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 55% Protein 9% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 101 mg
Sodium 123 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 21 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 4%