Independence Day in the US is a huge holiday, and there are always tons of “Red, White, & Blueberry” recipes to serve at the traditional barbecues and backyard get-togethers. The UK and several other nations also use those colors, so even though the following recipe for Red, White & Blueberry Blondies is great for the 4th of July in the US, it’s also a great recipe for anyone to serve wherever they live. Even if your country has different colors, these bars are delicious and worth serving. They are great for a backyard barbecue during the summer, great to take to a potluck or picnic; in fact, they are a welcome treat anytime.
These moist and delicious bars, which are actually blonde brownies with a layer of jam topped with berry studded cheesecake, can be made a day or so ahead; covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated, they will keep well for several days.
1 1/2 cups butter
2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup raspberry jam
2 8 oz. packages softened cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/4 cups fresh raspberries, or sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 11” x 17" jellyroll pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment.
- Cream the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy; stir in the buttermilk.
- Measure the flour, salt, and baking powder into a fine strainer over the butter mixture.
- Shake the strainer over until the flour mixture is sifted through; mix well.
- Spread 1/2 of the mixture over the surface of the prepared pan; spread with jam.
- Spread the remaining dough over the jam.
- Topping: Whip the cream cheese with the sugar, eggs, and lime juice until very light and fluffy.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries and raspberries.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the dough.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the cheesecake topping is set.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into 48 bars.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 58
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 38 mg
Sodium 121 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 3%