Persia is one of those countries that many of us know little about; the name evokes thoughts of an ancient, mysterious place. Actually, Persia is Iran, and it was called Persia until March 21, 1935, when Reza Shah Pahlavi requested that those around the world call his country Iran. There is still one small area (like a state) in Iran that is still referred to as Persia, and since Persian Melon Dessert sounds a lot more fun and exotic than Iranian Melon Dessert, we’ll pretend that it’s from that small area, even though desserts such as this are served all over Iran.
A beautiful presentation, this dessert consists of several kinds of fresh fruit served in a hollowed out melon. The fruit is tossed in a syrup made with sugar, lime juice and rosewater. Rosewater is available at Middle Eastern markets and even some larger grocery stores. It adds a wonderful, exotic flavor to many dishes and is a good ingredient to keep on the pantry shelf.
Persian Melon makes a perfect summer dessert; actually any seasonal fruits can be substituted for those called for in the recipe, and it can also double as a fruit salad.
2 medium cantaloupes
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
2 fresh peaches, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon rose water
2 tablespoons sugar
fresh mint sprigs
- Cut the melons in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Carefully run a knife around the inside of the melon leaving about 1/4" shell.
- Remove the fruit, cut it into chunks, and place in a bowl along with the strawberries, peaches, grapes, and blueberries; you should have about 8 cups fruit.
- Mix the lime juice, rosewater, and sugar in the blender or MagicBullet until the sugar is dissolved; toss with the fruit.
- Divide the fruit among the four cantaloupe shells and garnish with the mint sprigs.
- If not serving immediately, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 236 Calories from Fat 12
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 5% Protein 6% Carb. 89%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 28 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 179% Vitamin C 276% Calcium 0% Iron 6%