If you love Margaritas, you’ll love this Frosty Margarita Pie which can be made up to a month ahead and stored in the freezer. It’s easy to make, since the ingredients are frozen in the bowl of an automatic ice cream machine, then poured into a salty pretzel crust. Since the addition of alcohol retards freezing, the alcohol is boiled with the limeade concentrate before adding to the cream mixture; the end result is non-alcoholic, so everyone can enjoy this frozen treat.
Frosty Margarita Pie is a perfect dessert to serve at a backyard barbecue or get-together. It’s cool, creamy, and delicious.
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons boiling water
6 ounces frozen limeade concentrate, (3/4 cup or 1/2 of a 12 ounce can)
6 tablespoons tequila
2 tablespoons Triple Sec liqueur
2 eggs, or pasteurized egg substitute
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 dash salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 to 4 drops green food coloring, (optional)
3 cups pretzels, crushed to fine crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl; pour the boiling water over and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the limeade concentrate into a small saucepan; add the tequila and triple sec.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup limeade concentrate and the reserved gelatin mixture.
- Place in the freezer (for faster cooling) or refrigerator (for slower cooling) to cool while preparing the crust and the ice cream base.
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the crumbs for the topping; set aside.
- Mix the remaining crumbs with the melted butter and press into a 9” glass pie dish; bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly.
- Place the eggs, milk, sugar, salt, and cream in the blender; blend until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the limeade mixture and food coloring, if using, and blend for a few seconds. Alternately, whisk the ingredients together until well-mixed. Make sure the mixture is well-chilled.
- Pour the mixture into the frozen bowl of an automatic ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When the mixture is soft-frozen, spread evenly into the prepared crust; sprinkle with pretzel crumbs.
- Cover tightly and freeze for several hours.
- Cut into small wedges to serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 444 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 6% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 129 mg
Sodium 504 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 4%