Zucchini is a great vegetable to add to baked goods, since it not only contains some nutritional value, but also adds moistness without changing the flavor. Zucchini Chocolate Bundt® Cake is a classic, and this version, which is very easy to make, stays moist for days, or freezes well for longer storage. Baked in a standard Bundt® pan, the cake is very attractive, and when soaked in a little chocolate liqueur (or non-alcoholic coffee syrup) and glazed with rich, chocolaty ganache, it’s also perfect for any chocoholic.
Bundt® Cakes are great for taking to pot lucks and get-togethers or to work; they are easy to slice and easy to eat on a napkin- no plate needed.
If there’s zucchini overrunning the garden, this is the dessert to bake. In the unlikely event there are leftovers, they will stay moist for several days covered tightly with plastic wrap.
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 pound zucchini, finely grated (about 2 cups packed)
1/3 cup chocolate liqueur, or non-alcoholic chocolate flavored coffee syrup
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a standard Bundt® pan with Bakers Joy or grease and flour.
- Cream the sugar, butter, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Measure the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a fine strainer over the creamed mixture; shake the ingredients through.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and mix, adding the buttermilk gradually.
- Stir in the zucchini and mix well.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared Bundt® pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, poke holes with a fork into the bottom of the cake, and pour the chocolate liqueur over the top to soak in.
- After letting the liqueur soak in for 5 minutes, invert onto a cooling rack and let cool thoroughly.
- Glaze: Mix the chocolate chips and whipping cream in a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture sit 5 minutes, then whisk until thick.
- Place the cake on a serving platter; drizzle the glaze over.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 345 Calories from Fat 154
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 5% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 220 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 22 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 5%