Looking for a light dessert that doesn’t take too long to make? Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar with Ricotta is quick, easy, delicious, and no-bake/no-cook. It can be put together in about 10 minutes hands-on time, and the flavors of fresh strawberries and balsamic vinegar paired with a scoop of honey-sweetened ricotta cheese is divine. Make sure you use high-quality balsamic vinegar; it is thicker and richer than its cheaper counterparts, and there is no comparison in the flavor.
Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar with Ricotta is also very attractive, and as a bonus, it is actually quite good for you. It contains a full day’s Vitamin C as well as fiber, and as far as desserts go, is low in fat and calories. What are you waiting for?
3 cups strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon fresh mint, coarsely chopped and lightly packed in the measuring spoon
2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Mint Sprigs for Garnish
- Place the strawberries in a bowl; toss with the mint.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar and sugar, adding more sugar if the strawberries are less sweet.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for about an hour or more; if you have time or think about it, stir once or twice.
- Meanwhile, mix the ricotta cheese, honey, and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide the strawberries and juice between four serving bowls; top with a scoop of the ricotta mixture and garnish with fresh mint springs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 167 Calories from Fat 48
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 28% Protein 18% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 78 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 109% Calcium 0% Iron 4%