Chewy Gooey Chocolate Caramel Bars Recipe
Although it’s okay to use the caramels that are individually wrapped, I think most of us have better things to do than sit and unwrap little candies. I discovered Peter’s Caramel Loaf a few years ago, and have never even thought of purchasing those individually wrapped caramels since. There may be other brands of ready-made caramel out there, so check your restaurant supply stores and larger grocery stores. As a bonus, Peter’s uses real butter in their caramel, so it tastes better too.
Although these yummy bars are great year round, they are an especially good treat for a Halloween BOO-ffet; adults and kids love them, and they are so quick and easy to make, the cook will be able to worry about important things rather than dessert.
1/2 cup butter
1 16 oz. package marshmallows
12 cups Cocoa Puffs, or similar
18 ounces caramel loaf, such as Peter's, chopped, or unwrapped caramels
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Line a 17 x 11 jelly-roll pan with parchment and spray with non-stick spray.
- Spray a large microwaveable bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula with non-stick spray.
- Place the butter and marshmallows in the bowl; microwave on high power until they are melted, stirring every 1 minute.
- Stir in the Cocoa Puffs.
- Mix well and press into the prepared jelly-roll pan; let sit for a few minutes in a cool place to set.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramel - if using Peter's, microwave 1 minute, stir, and microwave at 50% power in 1 minute increments, until melted (if using another brand, melt according to manufacturer’s instructions)
- Drizzle or spread the melted caramel over the Cocoa Puff mixture.
- Measure the chocolate chips and whipping cream into a microwaveable container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Let sit 3 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thick; spread over the caramel.
- When the chocolate and caramel are set, cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 60
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 2% Carb. 65%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Note: Although this article promotes Peter’s Caramel Loaf, I have not received any compensation for doing so; I purchase it on a regular basis and use it in my home often.
If you can’t find a caramel loaf in your area, it can be ordered through Amazon:
Peter’s Creamy Caramel, 5 lbs.
Classic Caramel Caramel Loaf - 5lbs
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.