Sticky Caramel Apple Pudding Recpe
The timing of this pudding is very forgiving: it doesn’t overcook even if it stays in the slow cooker a while after it’s done. It can also stay in the slow cooker for several hours after cooking; just put it on the warm setting. If unwrapping caramels seems like a formidable task, caramel loaves are readily available at larger grocery stores, restaurant supply stores, and specialty stores. (I purchase Peter’s brand because it is convenient and good, but there are other brands that are also available). With the caramel loaf, you simply cut off the amount you need and cut it into pieces with a knife.
If you’re craving an old-fashioned fall dessert, Sticky Caramel Apple Pudding will satisfy every time, and caramel apple lovers will request it over and over
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup self-rising flour
4 medium cooking apples such as Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Jonathan
2 tablespoons orange juice
6 ounces caramel, either from a loaf (chopped) or unwrapped individuals
Ice cream or whipped cream
- Pour about 1" of hottest tap water in the crockery bowl of a slow cooker, put the lid on, and turn the cooker to high.
- Place a metal pastry ring or upside down saucer in the middle of the slow cooker.
- Spray a 1 to 1 1/2 quart casserole dish or cake pan (make sure it fits in your slow cooker) with non-stick spray; line with parchment, and spray the parchment with non-stick spray.
- Place the pecans and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor; process until the nuts are very finely chopped.
- Add the eggs, butter, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; process until smooth.
- Add the flour and pulse until mixed, scraping the sides if necessary.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Peel and core the apples, cut them into 1/2-1" chunks, and place them over the batter; sprinkle with the orange juice.
- Arrange the caramels evenly over the apples.
- Place the dish in the slow cooker and let the pudding steam on high for 3-4 hours, or until the pudding is set.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 385 Calories from Fat 181
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 4% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 257 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 7%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.