It wouldn’t be Halloween without some kind of sweet popcorn mix. Orange & Black Popcorn Mix will remind you of the old-fashioned pink Mother Goose popcorn, but it is colored Orange & Black for Halloween. Peanuts are also added to this simple but addicting popcorn mix. The syrup is very easy to make, uses common ingredients that are probably already on hand, and is simply poured over popcorn in a paper bag and shaken until it is evenly distributed. It’s brightly colored and the recipe makes enough to fill up a fairly large black witch’s cauldron. It’s a good snack to eat in front of the TV or to feature at the annual Halloween BOO-ffet.
Gel paste and paste food coloring are available at craft stores, restaurant supplies, variety stores and some grocery stores. Paste food coloring doesn’t thin out the mixture like traditional liquid food coloring, and the colors turn out darker and brighter. Since it keeps well on the pantry shelf, it’s a good idea to get several colors so that they are ready when needed.
24 Servings, a scant cup each
5 quarts plain popped popcorn
2 cups salted peanuts
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup minus 1 tablespoon milk
3 tablespoons butter
Black paste or gel paste food coloring
Bright Orange paste or gel paste food coloring
- Place 2 1/2 quarts popcorn in each of two brown paper grocery bags.
- Measure 1 cup salted peanuts into each bag.
- Mix the sugars, milk, and butter; bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 1/2 minutes.
- Pour 1 3/4 cups of the mixture into a glass measuring cup (keep the remaining syrup over low heat); working as fast as possible, stir in enough black food coloring to make the mixture very dark.
- Immediately pour over the popcorn in one of the paper bags; fold down the bag and shake until the syrup is evenly distributed over the popcorn and peanuts.
- Spread onto a baking sheet to dry.
- Add orange food coloring to the remaining mixture; pour the syrup into the second bag, fold down the bag and shake until the syrup is evenly distributed over the popcorn and peanuts.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread to dry.
- When the popcorn is dry, mix and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 236 Calories from Fat 71
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 7% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 72 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%