Swirled Pumpkin Chocolate Pie Recipe
Although a homemade crust is best, ready-made pie crusts are always available; the refrigerated ones are quite good, and the frozen ones will do in a pinch. A freshly baked pie using either of the ready-made crusts is always much better than store-bought or frozen pies which are generally not fresh (they often sit on the bakery tables for up to a week or in the freezer for who knows how long) and made of mystery ingredients as well as preservatives.
1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix
1 cup sugar, divided
3/4 cup light whipping cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 9" unbaked pie shell
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix the pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, whipping cream, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg until smooth; pour 2/3 of the mixture into the pie shell.
- Mix the remaining filling with the reserved 1/4 cup sugar and melted baking chocolate.
- Spoon the chocolate mixture over the pumpkin filling; use a knife to swirl.
- Bake 15 minutes; turn the oven temperature down to 350° and continue baking 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven to a cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream with a sprinkling of cocoa.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 366 Calories from Fat 177
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 78 mg
Sodium 165 mg
Total Carbohydrate 42 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 242% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 12%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.