Although historians are not totally certain of their origin, Florentines are believed to have been developed in France, probably around the late 1600’s, in honor of some visiting dignitaries from Florence, Italy. Generally made of butter, honey, nuts, cream, and sometimes fruit, these cookies are flat, crisp, and lace-like; one side is traditionally covered with chocolate. Besides almonds, the following Christmas Florentines contain red and green candied cherries which not only add a bit of chewiness, but also make them look festive with seasonal colors. They are drizzled with chocolate and look beautiful on a Christmas cookie tray.
These elegant cookies make great gifts; they can be stacked and packaged in pretty Christmas cellophane or in fancy boxes.
72 Small Florentines
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped red candied cherries
1/2 cup chopped green candied cherries
2 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Measure the butter, sugar, whipping cream and honey into a medium saucepan; turn the heat to medium and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat.
- Mix the cherries and almonds in a bowl; toss with the flour.
- Add to the butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets; spread slightly with the back of a spoon into a circle.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool on the sheet 1 minute (if the cookies aren't shaped right, you can reshape them during this minute).
- Transfer to cooling racks to cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in the microwave (takes about 1 minute); stir the chocolate and transfer to a decorating bag with a small, plain tip.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the tops of the cooled cookies.
- Layer the cookies in an airtight container with parchment in between each layer to avoid sticking.
- Keep in a cool place for up to a month.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 151 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 5% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 28 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 3%