Skillet Sweet Potato Pudding Recipe
Of course in the South, soul food is served daily because it’s so good, so this wonderful, old fashioned dessert shouldn’t be set aside just for the MLK, Jr. holiday; it is great served throughout the entire year and is a perfect ending to any Southern meal.
2/3 cup butter
1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, finely grated (4 cups packed)
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Grated rind of 1 orange
1 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup flaked coconut
Sweetened whipped cream, or ice cream.
- Melt the butter in a 10" cast-iron (or other very heavy) skillet.
- Mix the sweet potatoes, molasses, brown sugar, eggs, flour, spices, and orange rind; stir in the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the melted butter and stir.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and the mixture is very thick.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle the pecans and coconut over the top of the pudding.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and the coconut and nuts have toasted.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 295 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 4% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Sodium 154 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 199% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 19%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.