Citrus Berry Cream Puffs Recipe
If you have never worked with choux paste, don’t worry – it is by far the easiest pastry to make. No rolling or cutting is necessary, and this recipe doesn’t even require a decorating bag. The mounds of choux paste are simply scooped or spooned onto a baking sheet. Once in the oven, it’s almost magical how the mounds puff and become hollow inside. And while the shells can be covered with chocolate and filled with vanilla cream for éclairs, Citrus Berry Cream Puffs are light and not-too-sweet – perfect for warmer weather get-togethers. The puffs are best if made the day of serving, and just loosely covered so as not to ruin the just-baked texture; don’t seal in a plastic bag, or they’ll soften.
2 cups water
1 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
4 to 6 cups fresh berries, rinsed and drained well (if using strawberries, slice or chop them)
Powdered sugar for dusting and extra berries or fresh mint springs for garnish
- Choux Shells: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour all at once and stir over medium heat until all moisture is absorbed and the mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate (the dough will also coat the bottom of the pan; this is as it should be).
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth; this can be done by hand, but is easiest with a hand mixer or with the K-hook on a larger mixer.
- Drop or scoop mounds of the dough about the size of a walnut (scant 1/4 cup) onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. (If they aren't brown enough, they will sink in the middle, so make sure they are baked through.)
- Remove from the oven to cool completely.
- Filling: Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, and lemon and lime juices until smooth.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Carefully fold the berries into the cream mixture.
- To serve, slice each of the puffs almost through; add a generous amount of filling, press the top down a little, and dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with extra berries or mint springs.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 261 Calories from Fat 182
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 70% Protein 7% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 129 mg
Sodium 184 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 25% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.