Need a treat for an upcoming Patriotic Holiday and have absolutely no time to cook? Red, White, & Blueberry Krunch Squares take about 15 minutes hands-on time and can be prepared in the microwave. They are an adaption of the famous and delicious Rice Krispies Treats©, with the addition of dried cranberries (red) and dried blueberries (blue). These squares have an extra helping of gooey, buttery marshmallow, so they are chewy and soft. Unfortunately, the batch wonít last long, so theyíll need to be hidden until itís time to serve.
Red, White, & Blueberry Krunch Squares are so easy, even older children can make them by themselves. However, itís always a good idea to have an adult close by when kids are using a microwave. Dried cherries can be substituted for the cranberries, if necessary, but donít try to substitute margarine for the butter; the flavor makes a big difference in the taste of the finished squares.
These squares are not just for patriotic holidays; they are good year round and will be requested again and again.
2/3 cup butter
1 16 oz. package marshmallows
8 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried blueberries
- Place the butter in a very large microwave-safe bowl (I use a giant Tupperware Bowl); microwave 30 seconds to one minute, or until the butter is melted.
- Stir in the marshmallows and coat them with the butter.
- Microwave 2-3 minutes, stirring after each minute, until the marshmallows have melted; stir well until the butter is mixed with the melted marshmallow.
- Mix well and press into a buttered 11 x 17 inch jelly-roll pan.
- When set, cut into squares. (Itís easier to cut these sticky bars with a wet knife
Amount Per Serving
Calories 92 Calories from Fat 24
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 3% Carb. 71%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 7 mg
Sodium 94 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 5% Calcium 0% Iron 3%