Almost everyone has memories from childhood of the musical ice cream truck slowly driving through the neighborhood – “The Ice Cream Man” as he was called. While there were dozens of choices, creamsicles were always a favorite of the neighborhood kids. Orange Creamsicle Pie captures the flavors of these childhood treats in a simple, light pie. It’s easy to make using convenience products: orange gelatin, instant vanilla pudding, and a prepared graham cracker crust; no one will be the wiser, however, because when mixed with real heavy whipped cream, all evidence of convenience disappears. A word of caution: don’t be tempted to use frozen whipped topping – it’s too sweet and too stiff; the end result would be truly disastrous.
Orange Creamsicle Pie is light and airy, so it’s a perfect summer dessert. The tart orange mixed with the smooth, creamy vanilla make a refreshing, and delicious pie. In the unlikely event there are leftovers, they’ll keep for several days refrigerated. One of the official Hancock tasters admitted to hiding her pie in the back of the fridge so she didn’t have to share; she substituted pie for dinner and lunch the next day.
1 3 oz. package orange gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 3 oz. package instant vanilla pudding
1 1/4 cups milk
2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1 9" graham cracker crust
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water; set aside to cool to room temperature. To speed things up, place in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes; don't let it set.
- Whisk together the pudding and milk, mixing well until smooth (the blender works quickly and best); pour into a bowl to set.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the cooled gelatin mixture and half into the pudding mixture.
- Drop spoonfuls of each of the mixtures alternately into the pie shell; use a knife to swirl the mixtures together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, 1-2 hours.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 382 Calories from Fat 257
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 8% Carb. 25%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 87 mg
Sodium 175 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 52% Calcium 0% Iron 0%