Sherbet is a cross between a sorbet (usually pureed fruit, but also vegetable mixtures, coffee, etc. with no dairy) and ice cream – a rich milk and cream mixture. It is generally lower in fat than ice cream, so it is a good choice for keeping those bikini bodies in shape during the summer. The following Minted Berry Blitz Sherbet makes good use of favorite summer berries, as well as the fresh mint that seems to be the most prolific plant in many gardens. The mint flavor is subtle, but definitely complements the flavor of the berries. This sherbet is quick and easy to make in the automatic ice cream machine, and is perfect to serve alone, with cookies, or over a mixture of fresh melons.
About 8 1/2-cup Servings
1 3/4 cups skim milk, divided (for richer, but more fattening, sherbet substitute whole milk)
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups fresh berries, washed, and hulled if necessary
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- Measure 1 cup of the milk into a microwave-safe container; microwave 1 minute or until it is just lukewarm.
- Stir in the sugar and let sit until it is thoroughly dissolved.
- Meanwhile, place the fresh berries in a blender along with the remaining 3/4 cup of the milk, lemon juice, salt, and mint leaves.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides once or twice.
- Place a fine strainer over a large bowl, pour the berry mixture into the strainer, and press the mixture through, being careful to avoid pushing any seeds through.
- Mix the sieved berry mixture with the milk/sugar mixture; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. (You can speed this up by chilling it in the freezer, but make sure you don't leave it too long; it should still be liquid.)
- Pour the mixture into the frozen bowl of an automatic ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. It should take about 20-25 minutes in the machine; transfer to a covered container and store in the freezer.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 98 Calories from Fat 2
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 2% Protein 8% Carb. 89%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 101 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 40% Calcium 0% Iron 1%