Indian-Style Chicken Recipe
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 lb. chicken cut into small pieces (remove skin)
2 large very ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 large onions (2 chopped, 2 thinly sliced)
1 cup water
5 garlic cloves, chopped fine
4 green chilies, (seeded to remove heat)
3 tbspn grapeseed or vegetable oil
1-1/2 tbspn finely grated fresh ginger
2 tspn turmeric
1 tbspn coriander
1 tbspn cumin
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn cardamon
1/4 tspn cloves
3 tbspn ghee*
1 tspn salt
1. Put chilies, chopped onions, ginger and garlic into blender and puree.
2. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamon and cloves.
3. Saute sliced onions in oil and ghee in large heavy pot over medium heat until onions are golden. Remove onions from pot, leaving juices.
4. Add blended mixture to pot ans stir until color deepens and you see oil at edges of mixture.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and cook at least 5 minutes or most of the liquid from tomatoes has cooked down.
6. Place chicken in pot, sprinkle salt and simmer, turning once, for 5 minutes. 7. Add water, stir and cook covered for 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
8. Add sauteed onions and simmer on very low for 10 minutes.
Makes 8 to 12 small portions
*Ghee is clarified butter. Those who watched the television show "The Galloping Gourmet" will be very familiar with this butter. It is heated until the fat separates.
Melt 2 sticks of butter in small saucepan over moderate heat, bring to a slow boil. Stir and allow the butter to simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Skim top to remove the foam (scum) from top butter. Allow ghee
to cool then pour through a clean muslin cloth. Put in jar with a cover. Put in refrigerator. It will keep for months. This is the butter that is served with lobster.
If you do not wish to make ghee, it can be found in some supermarkets or buy from Amazon Purity Farm Organic Ghee, Clarified Butter, 13-Ounce
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Vannie Ryanes. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Vannie Ryanes. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.