Looking for a great summer make-ahead dessert? Refreshing Frosty Berry Cups can be made several weeks ahead, and can be kept in the freezer until it’s time to serve them. They are light, fruity, and cool - the perfect ending to a backyard barbecue, or any dinner, for that matter, on a hot summer night.
These Frosty Berry Cups are a great dessert to keep in the freezer for unexpected guests or for a quick cooling treat on a hot day. They’re pretty and fancy enough to serve company, too.
24 Individual Desserts
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
6 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup nuts, pecans, walnuts, or almonds, finely chopped
3-4 cups fresh berries (a mixture of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries, or your choice)
1 cup sugar, divided
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Fresh berries, for garnish
Fresh mint, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the butter, flour, brown sugar, and nuts.
- Sprinkle evenly over a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; remove from the oven and stir.
- Bake 10 more minutes, and remove from the oven and stir.
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, stir to break up; cool thoroughly.
- Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners; set aside.
- Filling: Coarsely chop the berries and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar; stir and set aside.
- Measure the remaining 1/2 cup sugar into a mixing bowl with the egg whites.
- Beat the whites until the sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the lemon juice, and salt; fold in the berry mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form; fold the whipped cream into the berry mixture.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of the cooled topping mixture into each of the 24 paper liners.
- Scoop the berry mixture over the topping and sprinkle each with an additional tablespoon of topping.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- Freeze at least 6 hours until firm.
- To serve: Remove the cups from the freezer, remove the paper liners, and garnish with fresh mint and additional berries.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 106
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 5% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 81 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 31% Calcium 0% Iron 3%