This Garish Green Gateau is quite disgusting looking, and will make a great centerpiece for the annual Halloween BOO-ffet, especially if it is garnished with rats, mice, bats, spiders, or other scary creatures. The actual cake (gateau is the French word for cake) is very delicious, and includes zucchini to add moistness as well as a little extra green; a bottle of liquid green food coloring (like in red velvet cake) is the source of the ghastly green color.
If you’re a proponent of serving green dishes on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ll also want to serve this cake on March 17th; don’t surround it with creatures, of course; instead sprinkle it with shamrock cake decorations and garnish with live shamrocks or leprechauns.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces green food coloring, (1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups finely grated zucchini, (with skin)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray three 9" round cake pans with non-stick spray; place a piece of parchment in each pan and spray again. Alternately place liners in 24 cupcake cups, grease and flour a standard bundt pan, or spray a 9 x 13" dripper pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar; add the eggs, food coloring, and vanilla.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Measure the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa into a fine strainer; shake it over the butter mixture; pour in the buttermilk and vinegar and mix until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake leaves the sides of the pan: 9" round layers - about 30 minutes, 24 cupcakes - 15-20 minutes, Bundt pan - 55-60 minutes, 9 x 13" dripper pan - 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes, then invert to a cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
- Frosting: Beat the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Assembly: Place a layer onto a serving platter; cover with a thin layer of frosting; top with another layer and cover with a thin layer of frosting.
- Top with the remaining layer and use the remaining frosting to cover the sides and top.
- Sprinkle the green sprinkles over the top.
- Surround with scary rodents spiders, etc.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 158
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 5% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g 27%
Saturated Fat 11 g 53%
Cholesterol 74 mg 25%
Sodium 386 mg 16%
Total Carbohydrate 69 g 23%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 4%