Easy Slow Cooker Apple Brown Betty Recipe
I’m sure you’ll agree, that this old fashioned dessert is still good in modern times, and is the perfect way to use up stale bread and seasonal apples. Serve it with fresh whipping cream, either plain or whipped and sweetened. It’s also good with ice cream.
6 to 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted and cut into 1" squares
1/2 cup melted butter, divided
6 to 8 cups apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup dry brown bread crumbs, or regular dry bread crumbs browned in the oven
1 tablespoon melted butter
- Spray the crock of a 4-6 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Scatter 1/2 of the toast cubes over the bottom of the crock; drizzle with 1/2 of the melted butter.
- Place the apples in a bowl; grate the zest of the orange over the apples, and squeeze the juice over.
- Add the sugar and toss until well mixed.
- Spread 1/2 of the mixture over the toast cubes.
- Top with the remaining toast cubes, drizzle with the remaining butter, and then the remaining apple mixture.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the melted butter and sprinkle over all.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to high, and let cook 3-4 hours or until the apples are tender; during the last 15 minutes, tilt the lid to eliminate any excess moisture.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 288 Calories from Fat 88
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 4% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving Value
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrate 48 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.