Cheater's Pumpkin Trifle Recipe
Cheater’s Pumpkin Trifle is also a good dessert to serve anytime from September through the holidays, and is easy enough to be put together in less than 30 minutes. This recipe came about when I found I had a box of 10 Hostess Twinkies® left from a project, and didn’t want them to go to waste. Although it would have been better to include homemade sponge cake and homemade pudding, like most of us, I found myself short on time; this version was devoured by the Official Hancock Tasters along with some of their friends.
Pumpkin flavored coffee syrup is available at restaurant supply stores, but you can use any flavor you can find at the grocery store, including plain old maple syrup. Praline, hazelnut, caramel, toffee, etc., all go well with pumpkin – you can use your imagination. Let the kids make this one; you have more pressing things to do!
2 3 oz. packages Butterscotch instant pudding
1 1/2 cups canned pure pumpkin
3 cups milk
10 cream filled sponge cake fingers such as Hostess Twinkies®, or Little Debbie Cloud Cakes®
6 tablespoons pumpkin flavored coffee syrup, or substitute a favorite fall flavor
3/4 cup apricot preserves
Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Place the pudding mixes, pumpkin, and milk in the blender; blend until smooth and immediately pour into a bowl; set aside.
- Cut the sponge cake fingers in half lengthwise and place a third of them on the bottom of a trifle dish, cutting them to fit.
- Drizzle two tablespoons of the coffee syrup over the sponge cake fingers.
- Spread with 1/4 cup apricot preserves.
- Pour 1/3 of the pudding over all; repeat twice, ending up with a layer of pudding on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour or up to two days.
- Pipe whipped cream decoratively over the top and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 472 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 18% Protein 4% Carb. 77%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 525 mg
Total Carbohydrate 91 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 36 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 205% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 15%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.