Luscious Chocolate Salted Caramel Squares Recipe
Chocolate Salted Caramel Squares are perfect to serve on a Christmas or holiday buffet, and they are yummy and fancy enough to put on treat trays or to package in fancy bags to give as gifts. They can be made a month or so ahead and stored in a cool place in an airtight container.
1 cup pretzels, coarsely broken
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup whipping cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Spray a 1/4 sheet jellyroll pan or 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray and line with parchment; spray the parchment.
- Mix the pretzels and pecans; spread evenly over the parchment.
- Caramel: In heavy saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of the whipping cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the mixture boils, slowly add the remaining whipping cream, stirring constantly, and making sure the mixture doesn't stop boiling.
- Add butter and wash down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the mixture reaches the softball stage (240°).
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, and pour evenly over the pretzel/pecan mixture.
- Use a spatula to move the caramel so that it surrounds the pretzels and pecans.
- Let sit until cool.
- Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave; stir until smooth and spread over the caramel.
- Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
- Place in the refrigerator until set.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the candy.
- Set the candy upside down on a jellyroll pan lined with parchment.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips and spread over the bottom of the squares.
- When set, invert and cut into 48 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 64
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 49% Protein 1% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 109 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.