In preparation for the holidays, Chocolate Peppermint Bark has been showing up in warehouse, grocery, and variety stores; it is expensive, and one can never be sure if the store bought brands contain high quality white and dark chocolate (not to mention preservatives and filler junk). However, homemade Chocolate Peppermint Bark is extremely easy to make at home, and by making it yourself, you can choose your chocolate.
The following recipe calls for highest quality semi-sweet chocolate chips; you can, however raise the bar and use a premium chocolate such as Callebaut or Valrhona. There are also expensive gourmet chocolate chips with 60%+ cacao. The white chocolate layer calls for vanilla almond bark, which is available on the baking aisle of most grocery stores. It isnít quite the same as good white chocolate, but it is much easier to melt; white chocolate can be a little touchy when melting in the microwave and it has to be watched and stirred every 30 seconds or so. Most of us donít have the time to melt real white chocolate under an oven light or over boiling water, and most of us wonít be serving to gourmet chefs, so it may be okay to use the almond bark. Itís up to you.
No matter what chocolates you decide to use, the final product is rich and good; the peppermint plays a key role, which is another reason that the expensive white chocolate may not be necessary. This is pretty on a holiday buffet or Christmas tray, and itís nice packaged in festive bags with ribbon to give as gifts.
Approximately 48 servings depending the size of the pieces
12 ounces (2 cups) highest quality semisweet chocolate chips
24 ounces vanilla almond bark, or white chocolate
1 cup peppermint candies, crushed
- Line an 11 x 17" jellyroll pan with parchment.
- Place the semisweet chocolate chips in a microwavable container and microwave 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minutes and stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Chill until set.
- Melt the almond bark according to package directions; stir until smooth.
- Spread evenly on the chilled chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle with the crushed peppermint candies, pressing down a little with your hands.
- Let set thoroughly before breaking into irregular pieces.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 112 Calories from Fat 57
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 1% Carb. 48%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%