Thumbprints are classics, and dozens of versions appear on holiday buffets and Christmas cookie trays every year. Most versions contain real butter, and these Holiday Shortbread Thumbprints are no exception. While some thumbprint cookies are rolled in nuts, these have a luscious filling of nuts, along with coconut and cream cheese. They have become a family favorite over the last few years, and are a welcome treat for guests. Holiday Shortbread Thumbprints are always included in the packages sent to out-of-town friends and family because not only are they attractive, they travel well and don’t break easily.
Since the recipe makes a lot, you’ll have plenty to eat and share with friends and family. Store them in an airtight container for a couple of weeks, or freeze for longer storage.
About 10 Dozen Cookies
2 cups butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Combine flour and salt in a fine strainer and shake through into the butter mixture.
- Mix well, then shape into 1 inch balls.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- Make a deep indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb or a wooden spoon handle.
- Bake the cookies 10-12 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese with the powdered sugar, flour, and vanilla.
- Add pecans and coconut; mix well.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the filling into each cookie.
- Topping: melt chocolate chips with the whipping cream for 2 minutes on high in the microwave; let sit 5 minutes, then stir until smooth and thick.
- Pour into a decorating bag with plain tip and drizzle onto the filled cookies or place in a zip-type bag with a small hole cut in the corner and squeeze through onto the cookies.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 99 Calories from Fat 56
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 62 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%