Snowballs are traditional in many homes at Christmas; they are sandy and buttery, and almost everyone likes them. Cranberry Pistachio Snowballs are a very festive and delicious variation of regular snowballs. They are equally easy to make, and the tart flavor of dried cranberries blends beautifully with the crunchy pistachio nuts. Besides that, the cranberries and pistachios are red and green, so once a lucky recipient takes a first bite, it will be evident that these cookies are special and Christmassy.
Since these are small and guests have been known to pop a dozen in their mouths at one sitting, it is a good idea to make the recipe twice so that there will be enough for everyone (unless you own a very large mixer, it probably isn’t possible to double it). To save time, after the cookies are thoroughly cool, place a cup of powdered sugar in a gallon-size zip-type bag and add a dozen or so cookies; seal the top and shake gently until all are coated. This is much faster than dipping each cookie individually, and it seems to coat them even better.
Makes about 10 dozen small cookies
2 cups butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chopped pistachio nuts
1 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, for dusting (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar for dusting) and mix well.
- Scoop teaspoonfuls of dough, roll them into small balls, and place them on parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- Bake 11-14 minutes, or until the edges just begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sift powdered sugar over the top.
- After they have thoroughly cooled, roll them in powdered sugar.
- The cookies may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or frozen for several months.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 61 Calories from Fat 35
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 5% Carb. 37%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 41 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%