Everyone loves rolled sugar cookies, and they are a must for the holidays. Unfortunately, it can take hours to decorate them, and alternatives are sometimes in order. These Red & Green Walnut Cutouts are yummy – even a cut above those beloved sugar cookies, and decorating takes only a few minutes, since vanilla chips or chocolate chips are simply melted and drizzled over the top of the cookies. Because of the red and green cherries, these cookies are festive and attractive. They’ll make a great addition to Christmas cookie trays or for holiday gifts.
About 8 dozen, depending on size of cutters
2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
5 cups flour
2 cups finely ground walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup red glace cherries, chopped
1 cup green glace cherries, chopped
2 cups white baking chips or 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips mixed with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy; add the eggs and extracts and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, salt, walnuts and cherries.
- If the dough is too soft to handle, chill it for 30 minutes to 1 hour (or put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so to speed it up).
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to 1/8" to 1/4" thick; cut into Christmas shapes.
- Place on parchment-lined or greased baking sheets and bake for about 8 minutes or until edges begin to lightly brown.
- Transfer to cooling racks.
- Melt the baking chips or chocolate chips in the microwave; transfer to a decorating bag and drizzle over the cookies decoratively.
- Let the coating set before storing in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 129 Calories from Fat 62
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 5% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 70 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%