Macadamia nuts are especially good when they are coated in toffee and dipped in chocolate. However, that particular variety is not easy to find outside of Hawaii. Chocolate Toffee Macadamia Nuts are the inspiration behind Chocolate Toffee Macadamia Pie. This pie is, of course, good any time of year, but since pumpkin and apple pies seem to be included in every holiday meal from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day, and it’s easy to get a little burned out on them, this luscious pie makes for a nice change. Besides, it’s chocolate, and that in itself makes it worth serving.
The filling for this pie is cooked in the microwave. It takes a minimum amount of time; the macadamia nuts can be toasted while the crust is baking, and that can be done several days ahead. So, this pie is a real no-brainer for something yummy and different to serve at a holiday dinner. The crunchy nuts and pieces of toffee candy bars complement the smooth chocolaty filling nicely, and it will be no surprise if this pie is requested over and over.
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup cornstarch, or 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 Heath bars or similar, (1.4 ounce each) coarsely broken
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup macadamia nuts, toasted in the oven until lightly browned and coarsely chopped
1 9" baked pie shell
- Measure the 1 1/2 cups milk into a microwaveable container (extra large so it doesn't boil over).
- Microwave 4-5 minutes or until boiling.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornstarch or flour and sugar.
- Add the 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the hot milk.
- Microwave 2 minutes on high power.
- Whisk, and microwave an additional 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla, Heath bars, and chocolate chips.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted and add the toasted macadamia nuts.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell, smooth the top, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the filling to prevent a film from forming.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve in small pieces (it's really rich) with sweetened, whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 504 Calories from Fat 274
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 4% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 229 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 5%