Need a lot of cookies fast? Cornflake Oatmeal Jumbles are easy drop cookies, and the recipe makes at least 12 dozen. While they are not particularly fancy, they are yummy, and are perfect for filling the cookie jar for after school snacks, or the freezer for serving with ice cream or pudding for an on-the-spot quick dessert.
Adapted from an old recipe called “Dishpan Cookies,” which indicates that these cookies were probably made by hand in a dishpan, we can all feel lucky that modern mixers are now available, since the dough is quite stiff; it would be very difficult and would take extra strength to get the large amount of dough mixed well without a little help. If your mixer is small, you can do the initial mixing with it, and then add the cornflakes, oatmeal, chocolate chips, and raisins by hand, which won’t be quite as tricky.
The finished cookies have a crunchy, chewy texture, and if your results are similar to mine and the reaction of Mr. Picky (the most infamous of the Official Hancock Tasters), the large quantity of cookies won’t be a problem, since dozens will disappear shortly after baking.
Makes about 12 dozen cookies
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups oats
4 cups cornflakes
1 cup raisins
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugars, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well-mixed and light.
- Measure the flour, baking, soda, and salt into a large fine strainer and shake over the mixture (or sift).
- Mix well until smooth.
- Stir in the oats, cornflakes, raisins, and chocolate chips until well-mixed.
- Scoop tablespoons onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container
Amount Per Serving
Calories 83 Calories from Fat 37
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 4% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 48 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%