During the holidays, it seems we are so busy, itís almost impossible to find time to bake fancy desserts for all the parties and guests that show up at the house. In the case of this luscious Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pudding, the slow cooker is a huge timesaver, and it only takes a few minutes to assemble the ingredients. The pudding stays warm for an hour or two after itís done, so it wonít matter if it isnít time for dessert; the pudding is ready when you are.
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pudding is a mixture of gingersnap crumbs and a custard concoction that is made of simple ingredients that are probably already on the pantry shelf or in the fridge; they are whizzed quickly in the blender. Candied ginger is added, and the pudding cooks by itself without supervision. A warm lemon sauce, made quickly in the microwave, either on the spur of the moment or a day or two ahead, tops the pudding. Not only is this easy pudding delicious, it is very festive as it contains seasonal holiday flavors. Gingerbread lovers will make sure there are no leftovers.
1 pound gingersnap cookies
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses, or black treacle
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon mixed spice, or 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cloves & 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 cup candied ginger, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 medium lemon
3/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons butter
- Pudding: Spray the inside of a 2-3 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Whizz the cookies in the food processor until they are fine crumbs (or crush them by hand).
- Transfer to the prepared slow cooker.
- Measure the eggs, sugar, molasses, milk, salt, ginger, and mixed spice in the blender; blend until smooth and pour over the cookie crumbs.
- Stir in the candied ginger.
- Cover the crock, set to high, and let cook 1 hour.
- Turn down to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours or until set in the center.
- Tilt the lid for a few minutes to evaporate any excess liquid.
- Serve with lemon sauce and whipped cream.
- Lemon Sauce: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in the juice of the lemon, water, and butter.
- Microwave 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave until boiling, stirring every minute.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 204 Calories from Fat 61
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 30% Protein 9% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 201 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 14 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 31%