Cakes made in the slow cooker are moist and delicious, and this Slow Cooker Banana Gooey Cake is no exception. However, once the cake batter is in the crock, a luscious coconut pecan filling is spooned over it. As it “bakes” in the slow cooker, the filling mixes inside the cake, so when it’s done, there are pockets of the gooey filling.
If you have a large rectangular slow cooker, it is the best for this cake, however, a large oval one works well, too. Two smaller round slow cookers make two small cakes, and are ideal for a small family; one can be wrapped and frozen.
18 1/4 ounces spice cake mix, or yellow or white cake mix
3 to 4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Spray a 6-8 quart rectangular or oval slow cooker with non-stick spray (or 2 round slow cookers); press a piece of foil onto the bottom and up the sides 2 or 3 inches.
- Cake: Mix the cake mix, eggs, bananas, and sour cream until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared slow cooker.
- Make the filling; spread it evenly over the top of the cake (it will sink in as it should, but don't stir).
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 2-3 hours or until the cake is set in the center. Invert onto a serving platter, remove the foil, and serve warm or cold with whipped cream.
- Filling: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and whipping cream and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved; add the vanilla.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut and nuts and stir.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 398 Calories from Fat 203
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 4% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 303 mg
Total Carbohydrate 45 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 23 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 3%