Apples are a common ingredient in Irish desserts, since they grow well in the Irish climate. Another common ingredient is Oatmeal; Irish cooks put oatmeal in everything from porridge, to casseroles, to breads, and of course, dessert. Pies, both savory and sweet, are also very popular in Ireland, so this Irish Oatmeal Apple Pie, which has been adapted from a traditional Irish recipe for use with the easy and versatile Basic Oatmeal Cookie Mix, is authentic Irish and perfect to serve for dessert at the Annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration. If you haven’t already prepared the cookie mix, it can be quickly assembled with ingredients that are probably already on the pantry shelves, and since it’s so handy and useful, you’ll wonder what you ever did without it.
The best apples for this pie are Granny Smith in the US or Bramley Apples in Ireland and the UK (Northern Ireland is part of the UK, the Republic of Ireland is not). However, Braeburn, Gala, or any tart crisp apple is also very good. You can even use a mixture of tart and sweet apples. Since this is an authentic Irish dessert, it isn’t green (the Irish don’t serve green food or beer on St. Patrick’s Day – only Americans and other non-Irish do), and so there is no danger of having green teeth at the dinner table.
2 1/2 cups Basic Oatmeal Cookie Mix
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored, & sliced thinly (about 4 large)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Basic Oatmeal Cookie Mix
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" deep pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the 2 1/2 cups Basic Oatmeal Cookie Mix with the egg; press evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish.
- Spray the back of a piece of foil with non-stick spray and press it onto the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; remove the foil from the crust and set aside.
- Filling:In a large microwaveable bowl, mix the sugar and flour; toss with the apples.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave 5 minutes; remove plastic wrap and stir.
- Topping:Mix the oatmeal cookie mix with the chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apple filling.
- 50-60 minutes or until the top is golden and the apple mixture is bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 548 Calories from Fat 202
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 5% Carb. 58%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 331 mg
Total Carbohydrate 79 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 3%