One of the sure signs of spring is the emergence of little nests full of eggs, and nests full of eggs are a theme in many Easter celebrations; the nests represent new birth. These yummy Coconut Custard Nests are a perfect choice for an Easter buffet or at a spring luncheon. As it bakes, the batter forms custardy layers, and a perfect little cup for whipped cream, more coconut, and of course those delicious mini chocolate eggs.
All the ingredients for the batter are simply whizzed in the blender, so it’s quick to make. While the tarts are baking, the cream can be whipped and the coconut can be tinted. The actual assembly is also quick, and the kids will definitely want to help.
Makes 18 Nests
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 pinches salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
green food coloring
Cadbury Mini Eggs, or favorite brand
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan and a 6 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Measure the tart ingredients into a blender container.
- Blend until smooth, at least 15 seconds, scraping the sides at least once.
- Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (a scant 1/4 cup in each).
- Bake until the centers are set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. The centers will sink, making a place for the whipped cream and eggs.
- Remove the tarts from the muffin pans and place them on paper towels to absorb any butter that has seeped through the paper liners.
- Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar to stiff peaks.
- Cover each tart with some of the whipped cream.
- Place the coconut in a jar along with a few drops green food coloring; shake until the coconut is tinted.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the whipped cream on each tart and add 3 mini eggs to each middle to resemble nests.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 166 Calories from Fat 102
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 61% Protein 8% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 11 g 17%
Saturated Fat 7 g 37%
Cholesterol 71 mg 24%
Sodium 360 mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 13 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%