Salted Caramel & Dark Chocolate Popcorn Recipe
Even though milk chocolate is very popular with the masses, and almost everyone seems to love it (me included), it isn’t suitable for this particular recipe. It’s too mild and can’t stand up to the caramel and salt. Air popped popcorn, with no oil used, is preferable, and it saves on calories (not than anybody’s counting), too.
Several friends who haven’t previously been included in the Official Hancock Tasters volunteered to taste this popcorn; it was savored and devoured in record time. Every single taster asked for the recipe. This popcorn is great when packaged in fancy bags to give as gifts; it also keeps well in an airtight container, although leftovers are not likely.
Makes about 6 quarts
1/2 cup butter (no subs)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 dash salt
6 quarts popped popcorn, (plain - no salt, no oil)
2 cups semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, preferably 60% or higher cacao
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- Place all the caramel ingredients in a large saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- When boiling, uncover, stir, scraping the sides down with a heat-proof silicone scraper, and let cook to the softball stage (235°-240°); to test, drop some of the boiling caramel into a cup of ice water - it will form a soft ball.
- Spray a very large bowl with non-stick spray.
- Place the popcorn in the bowl and pour the caramel mixture over; mix well.
- Spread the caramel corn out onto two parchment-lined or buttered jelly-roll pans to set.
- Place the chocolate chips in a glass measuring cup or bowl; microwave 1 1/2 minutes; stir, and continue microwaving the chocolate for up to another minute in 30 second intervals until melted.
- Drizzle the chocolate evenly over the two pans of caramel corn.
- Sprinkle each with a tablespoon of the coarse salt.
- Let the chocolate set before storing in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 194 Calories from Fat 65
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 34% Protein 3% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 11 mg
Sodium 447 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels are included in a Chicken Slider Combo on certain flights on Delta Airlines, or can be purchased on Amazon: Sanders Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels 36 Ounce Container
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.