Holidays are sometimes difficult because we want to prepare several traditional dishes and we run out of oven space as well as stovetop burners. Thatís where the slow cooker comes in handy. Not only can side and main dishes be successfully cooked in slow cookers, but believe it or not, the following Slow Cooker Birdís Nest Cake cooks in 3 or 4 hours in the slow cooker. The ingredients are simple: a cake mix, eggs, a can of coconut milk, and butter. The cake batter goes together in minutes, and just before itís finished ďbaking,Ē itís sprinkled with the Easter grass (tinted coconut) and Easter eggs (egg shaped marshmallows). The finished cake is extremely moist; no frosting is necessary.
Decorating the cake is easy; simply place a few Peeps on top. Itís colorful and definitely delicious. Egg shaped marshmallows appear on the grocery shelves around Easter time every year; if you canít find them in your area, you can substitute regular colored marshmallows. You can also substitute chocolate marshmallow eggs; the end result wonít be as colorful, but the chocolate and coconut combination are divine.
1 18.25 ounce white cake mix
1/4 cup softened butter
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups coconut
green food coloring
2 cups Candy Eggmallows (vanilla flavored marshmallows), or other colored marshmallows
Peeps Marshmallow Chicks
- Spray the crock of a 6-8 quart rectangular or oval slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Make two long, wide strips of foil and place one lengthwise along the bottom and up the sides of the crock, and the other crosswise along the bottom and up the sides of the crock.
- Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cake mix, butter, eggs, and coconut milk until smooth.
- Pour into the slow cooker and spread evenly.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 2-3 hours or until the top is just set, but still a little soft.
- Measure the coconut into a container with a tight fitting lid; squeeze a few drops green food coloring over the coconut, seal tightly, and shake until the coconut is tinted.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the cake and top with the marshmallows.
- Cover and let cook an additional 30 minutes or until the marshmallows are puffed.
- Remove the lid and remove the crock to a cooling rack to cool thoroughly.
- Run a knife around the outside of the cake.
- Use the foil "handles" to remove it from the crock and place it on a serving platter.
- Arrange a few Peeps on top for garnish.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 109
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 5% Carb. 30%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 74 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%