Lemon seems to be the official flavor of spring, and it’s included in everything from casseroles to vegetables to desserts. No Bake Lemon Cream Cheese Bars are perfect to make in the spring; they are cool, light, lemony, and their preparation doesn’t heat up the kitchen. The crust on these tart bars is made with crushed shortbread cookies; the filling is an easy microwaved lemon curd swirled with a whipped cream cheese mixture. The three components are very easy, as well as quick, and the bars can be made several days ahead of serving.
Perfect to serve at any spring or summer gathering, these bars are refreshing and attractive. They will keep a week or more if covered tightly and refrigerated.
9 to 12 ounces shortbread cookies, finely ground
3 tablespoons melted butter
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
3 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice, (about 2 1/2 large lemons)
4 tablespoons butter
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Spray a 7 x 9" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cookies and melted butter; press into the prepared baking dish.
- Place in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Lemon Curd: Beat the yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute, until thickened and the mixture coats a spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. Make sure it doesn't boil.
- Place in the refrigerator or freezer to cool.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Whip the cream cheese, sugar, and whipping until light and fluffy.
- Assembly: Spread the cream cheese filling over the cookie crust.
- Drop spoonfuls of the lemon curd over the cream cheese filling and with a spoon swirl together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before cutting into 24 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 190 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 1%