Love Chocolate? These Double Chocolate Orange Crunchies have enough chocolate for the most avid chocoholic. Orange zest complements the chocolate, and oats and bran cereal add crunch. Warm from the oven, the gooey chocolate is decadent, but after they cool, they are crunchy with a slightly chewy interior. This recipe makes six dozen, so there’ll be plenty to fill up the cookie jar.
These cookies are great served with ice cream; they’re also great to take on picnics or to serve at backyard barbecues and summer get-togethers. Double Chocolate Orange Crunchies keep well in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. For longer storage, they also freeze well.
6 dozen cookies
1 1/4 cups butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Zest of 1 orange
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups oats
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups All-Bran, or Fiber One Original Bran Cereal
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cream the butter and sugars; beat in the eggs, orange zest, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Place a fine strainer over the butter mixture; measure the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into the strainer and shake through.
- Mix thoroughly and stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and bran cereal.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of the dough and roll into balls.
- Place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets; flatten slightly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 121 Calories from Fat 50
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 5% Carb. 54%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 94 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 3%